This project summarizes the existing sample agreements from different institutions, analyzes the key contractual issues in the formation of alliances, and develops master charts of legal provisions to compare different approaches, to provide a reference for the formation of new alliances in the era of epidemic disease outbreaks.
Key Contractual Issues in the Formation of New Alliances
Beibei Sun, Duke University School of Law, J.D.’16
Mentor: Professor Julie Barnes-Weise, Duke
- Innovation & Technology Policy Lab, Bass Connections, Duke University
- World Health Organization
Reviewed existing model and related agreements;
- Identified applicable key terms;
- Identified major approaches to specific issues;
- Developed master chart of specific terms from designated agreements;
- Adapted existing terms to the needs of a multi-party alliance for development of vaccines and therapies to treat and protect against an epidemic disease outbreak.
The legal framework substantially affects the outcome and efficiency of the alliance formation.
- The four key issues are usually central of the negotiation.
- Which approaches to adopt is determined by the purpose and scope of the alliance.