In addition the current cost of paclitaxel limits use in many parts of the developing world. Lower cost sources of paclitaxel can have an immediate impact to human health worldwide. Currently taxol is approved in the U.S. as first line of treatment for breast, ovarian and non-small cell lung cancer. The annual new cases of these cancers are ~ 540,000 in the United States.
- Banskota, S.
- Ciesla T.J.
- Moreb, E.
BME 590-02 Fall 2015
Market size: U.S. market : 1,100 kg per year
Process design included:
- Genetically engineered E. coli Strain
- Heterologous Taxol production pathway
- Engineered host strain
- GMP fermentation process
- 5 step downstream recovery process
Our conceptual design results in cost competitive production
- $0.43/mg - including a 25% return
- ~$ 5M in capital investment
- Current pricing is ~ $0.50/mg